Saturday, March 23, 2013

Horror Movies Worth Watching Part 2!!!

Hi everyone, I'm An Trieu. This week is my spring break, so I'd love to update you guys with some movies I've watched recently. Interestingly, I've found out that my two favorites till this date are two of the movies I mention below! Give it a read! Are you ready for some scares?
1. The Shining (1980)


 - Intro & Plot: The Shining is a classic, psychological horror film produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick in 1980. It is based on Stephen King's famous novel "The Shining." In the movie, Jack takes a job as a caretaker at an isolated hotel. His son, Danny, posses psychic ability to see things in the past and future, therefore, he could be able to see ghosts in the hotel. After settling in the hotel, Jack seems to be gradually influenced by some supernatural forces that he decides to murder his wife and son.
- Comments: It is an excellent and fantastic film, right down my alley! I love love psychological horror film that is not too much cutting/ blooding parts! :) In fact, Jack Nicholson's (staring Jack) acting is fantastically amazing! His face's expression is beyond scary, regardless of all makeup/effects that people use in  horror film nowadays. Moreover, Shelly Duvall (Jack's wife) is great also! And I love Danny a lot too! He's just so cute! This film, I have to say, my favorite horror film so far!
::

2. Psycho (1960)

 - Intro & Plot: Psycho is an American horror film directed by Alfred Hitchcock and based in the 1959 novel "Psycho" by Robert Bloch. Marion Crane who has embezzled $40,000 from her employer and ends up at an isolated hotel whose disturbed owner is Norman Bates. And things happen, like really disturbing and weird! 
 - Comments: This is a great classic black and white American movie with acceptable scary scenes in my opinion! Ranked among the greatest films of all time and after Hitchcock's death, Universal studios began producing follow-ups, three sequels, Psycho II, III, IV- The Beginning, a remake in 1998 (which in my opinion is far worst even though they keep the same voices and sounds but different actors/actresses), and a television movie spin-off. Honestly, I enjoy the original Psycho the best. I also watched the 3 sequels and the remake (which I fast-forwarded for I found it's the same thing but with horrible acting), not the tv version though. My favorite also!!! Love love these types of psycho horror!!!
::

3. The Sixth Sense (1999)

 - Intro & Plot: The Sixth Sense is an American supernatural thriller and drama film directed by M. Night Shyamalan. The film tells the story of a "troubled" boy who possess the ability to see dead people that meets a also "troubled" child psychologist who tries to help him. The film is famous for its surprise ending and its great plot.
 - Comments: The movie got quite boring at first to me for it didn't scare me or anything, but it gets so intense towards the end. I love its surprise ending that made me go "ohh ahh." :) A really meaningful and must-see movie, ya'll!!!
::

4. Mama (2013)

 -Intro & Plot: Mama is a Spanish Canadian horror film co-written and directed by Andres Muschietti, produced by J. Miles Dale and Barbara Muschietti, and based on Muschietti's Mama ("Mom"- a 2008 Spanish short film which captured Guilermo del Torro's attention- movie's executive producer). The film tells the story of the two young girls in an isolated cabin, fostered by an unknown entity/creature that they call Mama, which eventually follows them to the suburban home after their uncle's retrieval.
- Comments: This movie is very worth watching! Go watch it right now for it's still shown in some of your local theaters. I love the lot and the meaning of it! Mama's love is forever, indeed! It gets really emotional at the end though. It's my favorite modern horror film, I would say! One thing I don't like is that they draw our attention to a well-seen figure of Mama (too much of the effects) that makes "MY MAMA" literally ruined! EEK, rather that that, it's cool!
::

5. Let Me In (2010)

 - Intro & Plot: Let Me In is an American romantic horror film, written and directed by Matt Reeves. It is based on a Swedish film "Let The Right One In" (I watched the film a year ago already!- quite slow-paced but great) and the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It tells the story of a bullied 12-year-old boy who meets a newcomer and gradually developing a close relationship with a vampire child.
- Comments: This remake English version is said to have stayed pretty true to its original film and produced by Hammer films (which also produced The Woman In Black in 2010- staring Happy Potter as I'd love to say that I also did a review on- you can read it, here: Horror Movies Worth Watching- Part 1)


My mind has gone quite messed up after watching so many horror movies in that short amount of time, jk! :)) Thanks for reading though! Remember to stay awake and inspired! 

No comments:

Post a Comment